March 26, 2011

La Espiga De Oro (24th & Alabama)

La Espiga De Oro - 2916 24th Street (@ Alabama)
Visited: 3/23/11

Ordered: Super Vegetarian Burrito
Cost:$7.11

Overall Description:Man it had been a while since I'd reviewed a burrito! This burrito was a good size and felt solid. Biting into it I immediately noticed that they grilled their tortillas instead of steaming them and I really like the extra flavor and texture that provided.

Composition: (out of 5) 4.5 - A well made burrito for sure. It was rolled very evenly so you didn't get that bunched up portion of the tortilla on one side (I actually like that bunched up part of the tortilla in some burritos, but it does indicate a sloppy roll job.) All of the ingredients were proportioned well, and each bite tasted a little bit different, but not too much.

Ingredients: (out of 5) 4 - The rice was fantastic in this burrito, so full of flavor. I loved the big chunks of avocado, but could have had a little less sour cream. The only real drawback here was the lettuce - but there wasn't too much of it. The salsa gave it a little bit of a bite, but I could've used a little more.

Size: (out of 3) 2.5 - Big, not overwhelming. I probably could have finished this in one sitting, although I'm glad I didn't.

Taste: (out of 10) 8 - What can I say, it tasted good. No problems here - but my mouth isn't watering just thinking about it so I think 8 is a fair score.

Value: (out of 5) 3 - I think it's a little weird when veggie burritos (that are really just burritos sans meat) cost the same as the burrito with meat, so for $7 I think it's not a great value, as tasty as it is.

Total Score: (out of 28) 22 - Another solid burrito, although it does not stand out as especially exceptional, it was surprisingly tasty.

Additional Comments: This place is also a mini supermarket, and there were plenty of patrons that came in to enjoy some tamales during our visit as well so I will likely come back to give those a shot sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment