July 8, 2009

La Vallarta (24th & Treat)

Taqueria Vallarta - 3033 24th St
Visited: 7/3/09

Ordered: Super Grill Burrito
Cost:$6.40

Overall Description: I've definitely been to this place once before, but I just got something cheap and quick as I was starving and freezing. I didn't quite know what to order - their regular veggie burrito had sour cream and guac and I wanted something a little more unique to this place, so I settled on the Super Grilled Burrito (or something along those lines). It had carrots, peppers, other veggies, etc. It was tasty, but I felt like there was too much sour cream and not enough substance over all.

Composition: (out of 5) 3.5 - This burrito stayed together well, and each bite was about as good as the next. I had to dock a few points because the shredded carrots sank to the bottom of the burrito, so my leftover meal was all carrots, instead of the other good stuff. Also, it was kind of sloppier near the end then I thought - all that sour cream.

Ingredients: (out of 5) 4 - I did enjoy the combination of ingredients and it gave it a flavor that was more complex then most of the other burritos I've tried. Far from perfect, but an interesting combination so I rated it a little higher then I might've.

Size: (out of 3) 2 - Big but not huge. I could have finished this in a sitting if I hadn't had a snack a little before.

Taste: (out of 10) 6.5 - Good but not great. Too much sour cream, some uneveness in the cut of the veggies, and something not quite right about it prevent this from scoring higher. But it did give me the satisfying first bite I was craving at that point in time.

Value: (out of 5) 3.5 - Cheap, open late, good size, and tasty enough - a good entry but not quite enough to make it a new champion.

Total Score: (out of 28) 19.5 - As mentioned above, I think this burrito is pretty good, especially if you are looking for something authentic but slightly off the beaten path (mission st). I will probably swing by here again for late nite cheap burritos and tacos, but skip the super grill most likely.

Additional Comments: Open late on weeknights and they have a big menu and large seating area - it's nice to have some space inside!

No comments:

Post a Comment