September 9, 2009

El Castillito (Mission & 17th)

El Castillito - 2029 Mission St.
Visited: 9/8/09

Ordered: Vegetarian Burrito
Cost:$ 5.69

Overall Description: I asked for no onions, as the ingredients specifically noted onions. However, I think this means they also withheld the hot salsa that was supposed to be in my burrito, so it lacked zing. Actually, it probably would've lacked zing anyway, but at least it would've been spicy. This was a good sized burrito with fresh ingredients, but it came across pretty bland all over.

Composition: (out of 5) 2 - I almost gave it a three, but there wasn't enough beans so the burrito felt poorly distributed, and there was lettuce in it - which I would've asked they leave out if it had been on the menu. Also the lack of salsa, which I shouldn't hold against them maybe, but I will anyway.

Ingredients: (out of 5) 3.5 - Actually, everything in this burrito was very fresh, so it tasted decent. However the beans and rice were pretty bland, they put lettuce in there, and I felt there was way too much sour cream.

Size: (out of 3) 3 - Can't argue with the size - this thing was big and felt like a real burrito (as opposed to my last post).

Taste: (out of 10) 5 - Nothing bad, but nothing overwhelmingly good. As I mentioned, it felt under-seasoned and the first bite was not bursting with burrito-y goodness, so I'm giving it the most neutral score I can.

Value: (out of 5) 3 - Decent price for a decent size, but I wouldn't suggest it to anyone (although it's certainly better then El Balazo across the street) (which got a better rating for a chile relleno - means an eventual revist).

Total Score: (out of 28) 16.5 - Not a contender, but not offensive.

Additional Comments: When I asked how my friend's chicken burrito was she made the "so-so/meh" sign with her hands, so it wasn't just me!

No comments:

Post a Comment